If you are an editor or artist then you have surely used Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Both Photoshop and Illustrator are quite similar to each other but if you demonstrate the difference between both of them, then you will come to know that there are more differences between them than their similarities.Let’s find out what are the differences between Photoshop and Illustrator?
Photoshop was designed by Thomas and John Knoll and it was released on Feb 19,1990 for Windows and macOS, around 31 years ago. Photoshop uses pixels to create images which is primarily developed for photographers and designers for editing and creating raster based art or images. Now, photoshop also helps you to create graphics, designs, web pages, banner ads and creating and editing images for printing.
But photoshop does not do well in all types of designing as it is not the best software for various fields of artwork and design.
Also Read: 5 New Apps to Try Today
Illustrator is commonly popular as Logo designer software and it was released in 1985 and initially designed for Apple Macintosh. While Illustrator works using vectors, which are the points used to design perfect and smooth lines.
With the use of vectors, Illustrator creates and edits logos, graphics and other elements. In Illustrator, you can easily size the images as small or as large as you need them but it will not affect the quality of the image.
If you want to create a multi-page document, then InDesign is the ideal Adobe software for you not Illustrator as it doesn’t allow you to create automated page numbers. InDesign provides you the feature to create larger documents and the documents that use templates.
Now the question arises, which one and when to use?
As we have already discussed that, Photoshop is used for photo editing purposes and Illustrator is used for the purpose of creation of images and graphics. Let’s discuss some of the points and do a healthy comparison between Photoshop and Illustrator.
You can also check out Identifying and Utilizing Digital | The Best Marketing Channels for Your Business to know where you can utilize your knowledge of graphics.
When should Photoshop be used?
- The primary goal of photoshop is to edit and enhance images and photos, If you are looking for an editing tool then photoshop will be the best option for you. As it provides you various features and tools for editing purposes.
- If your images or designs are based on raster graphics, then you should go for photoshop because photoshop is a raster based graphic designing software.
- Photoshop also provides you the features apart from the basic editing. These updated features help you to make corrections and other editings such as retouching, removing blemish and adding different borders to the image.
- In photoshop, apart from editing of raster graphics, you can also do some basic vector based artwork.
When should Illustrator be used?
- With the use of Illustrator, you can create your own design and image based on your creativity and perception.
- If you want to create logos and designs or any other graphics in which you want smooth images and borders and you want to be free from pixel related issues then Adobe Illustrator will provide you the best features, therefore it is a must have application.
- You can also create documents like reports or brochures, then illustrators can also help you out to design such basic documents.
- Illustrator could also help in making a wonderful web page from a blank web page through its plugins.
- Illustrator provides you a freehand to develop your own design which provides you the best possible result.
I think, Now you all get to know what they do and how they do it. Most of the things would be clear if you get to know that, when should you use these softwares. It is clear that Photoshop and Illustrator are quite different to each other but also have some similar features too.
To get things more clear, let’s discuss some of the key features of Photoshop and Illustrator.
Key Features of Illustrator
- Creating Designs and Innovating texts: When you are using Illustrator, your text is not just text, you can apply whatever style and creativity that you can develop. Who knows that your creativity might come up with an awesome design.
- Choose your own scale: If you are using Illustrator, then you are capable of choosing your scale (Scale up or Scale down) at any point of time during your process. While working on Illustrator you also get assisted when working on finer levels during any project. Your graphics, designs or logos can be useful in various fields like IT industries, marketing, sales etc.
- Various Ways to Create: Illustrator provides you dynamic ways to work on designs such as the features of retouching, drawing your own style etc.
- Collab with other Adobe Softwares: In Adobe softwares you are not restricted to use the features which are available on your software. You can combine the features of other adobe softwares such as InDesign, XD, or premium pro to get the best results.
Key Features of Photoshop
- Great Editing and transformation tool: Photoshop provides you with a handful of features and tools to transform an image. Photoshop is capable of creating and editing anything out of a picture.
- Easy to use: Photoshop is pretty easy to use which is the major reason that it is the most popular editing software. Beginners can easily pick the basic features and tools of photoshop to produce their creativity.
- Create Free-handedly: Photoshop provides you the feature to use paint brush, pencils, brushes etc. by which you can create your own designs free-handedly, but photoshop provides less features for such illustrations as it is primarily made for editing.
Photoshop Vs Illustrator: Final Words
Basically both the softwares are ideal for the work for which they are made, such as Photoshop is primarily made for editing purpose and Illustrator is made for vector based illustrations. Both the softwares have great features for their primary working.
If you want a great project then use both the softwares simultaneously or collab with both the softwares. Combining both the softwares will provide you best result.Both the softwares are easy to use if you want to fulfill your basic needs. While using Adobe software, some of the users reported about Non-genuine software pop-up. Here is the complete solution for this problem, just click on the given link ‘adobe genuine software integrity service’.
I hope you find this article helpful and you get to know about Photoshop and Illustrator, then please leave your feedback in the comment section.